Transform your drab dinners with these savory recipes with tortillas
Many of us have been here before: you open your fridge and find very few ingredients for dinner. Add onto the fact that you already didn’t know what to make doesn’t help either.
One easy answer that comes to mind is a quesadilla. Simple to make, quesadilla recipes can be doctored into something fancy – after all, this lovely tortilla dish is a classic for good reason. But what if you wanted to take it a step further? What if you wanted to take that tortilla and make something new out of it?
Luckily, we have the answer. We folded through the internet and found some fantastic tortilla recipes that are both fun to make and will be a dinnertime hit. Grab your spatulas and let’s get cooking!
Homemade Beef CrunchWraps
This first of these tortilla recipes is a dream come true for Taco Bell lovers. Yes, you can make the Beef Crunchwrap from home, with all the flavor of the take-out version without the drive-thru.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 packet taco seasoning mix
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup queso or nacho cheese dip
- 6 Large burrito-size flour tortillas
- 6 tostada shells or corn tortillas
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1/4 cup minced cilantro
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Heat a large skillet to medium/high heat for two to three minutes.
- Add beef to skillet and cook & crumble the ground beef until no longer pink. Drain grease.
- Stir in the taco seasoning mix and water and allow mixture to simmer for ten minutes.
- On a clean flat surface, lay one flour tortilla on a flat surface.
- Spread about 2 tablespoons of queso on the center of the tortilla.
- Top with about 1/2 cup of taco meat. Top the meat with 1 tostada.
- Spread a thin layer of sour cream over the tostada shell. Top with lettuce, tomato, cilantro, a sprinkle of lime and shredded Mexican cheese.
- To fold the crunch wrap, start with the bottom of the flour tortilla and fold the edge up over the center.
- Continue to work your way around, folding the flour tortilla over the center fillings. If there is a spot left open in the center, cut a piece of another flour tortilla and tuck it in the center, so it’s fully covered.
- Repeat with all remaining tortillas, tostadas and fillings.
- Heat a medium non-stick pan to medium heat; pray with cooking spray or drizzle with a light layer of oil.
- Place one crunch-wrap seam-side down onto the skillet. Cook for two to three minutes per side or until golden-brown and crunchy.
- Repeat the process with all crunch-wraps. Serve hot!
Beef Tortilla Taco Casserole
Need a quick & delicious dish that’ll please the whole family? This next recipe is for you! This fun tortilla recipe melts right in your mouth, letting you take the tortilla into the realm of comfort food.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 package of taco seasoning mix
- ⅔ cup water
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch strips
- 2 ¾ cups of salsa
- 1 package of frozen whole kernel sweet corn
- 6 flour tortillas for soft tacos & fajitas
- 2 cups shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese blend
- Heat oven to 350°F. In a 12-inch skillet, cook beef over medium-high heat five to seven minutes, stirring occasionally, until thoroughly cooked – drain.
- Stir in taco seasoning mix, water and bell pepper strips. Simmer for three to four minutes, stirring frequently, until thickened. Stir in salsa & corn.
- Spray 13×9-inch (3-quart) baking dish with cooking spray. Cut tortillas in half; place 6 tortilla halves on the bottom of the baking dish.
- Top with half of the beef mixture (about 3 1/2 cups). Sprinkle with 3/4 cup of the cheese and remaining tortilla halves. Top with remaining beef mixture and cheese.
- Spray a piece of foil large enough to cover the baking dish with cooking spray. Cover the baking dish with foil sprayed side down. Bake for thirty-five to forty minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted.
Simple Tortilla Pizzas
Your regular pizzeria not hitting the spot? No problem! Take some tortillas and give this twist on pizza a try!
- 1 whole wheat tortilla
- ¼ cup sauce (marinara, pesto, olive oil and garlic, barbecue sauce)
- ⅓ cup shredded/crumbled cheese (mozzarella, cheddar, goat, feta)
- Toppings, optional
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the tortilla in a 12-inch cast iron pan or baking sheet
- Spread sauce evenly across the tortilla, leaving ½ inch around the edges. Sprinkle with cheese and toppings.
- Bake until the cheese is golden & bubbling and the edges of the tortilla are lightly browned, about ten to fourteen minutes.
- Let the pizza cool for a few minutes before slicing.
Have any other great tortilla recipes for dinner? Drop them below in the comments so we can fold them into our dinner plans!