Meal prepping recipes: Form a great healthy eating plan for 2021
We’ve all been guilty of starting the year gung-ho with a healthy eating plan to improve, change, or even eliminate bad food habits in our lives – only to fall off the wagon later on in the year.
Maintaining healthy eating goals can sometimes become a daunting task, especially when you are bogged down with work and crave some super non-healthy comfort foods. So, to keep your healthy eating plan on track in 2021, we’ve rounded up the best meal prep recipes.
Prepare to salivate! These buttery blondies by Bon appétit are loaded with protein and will be a delicious addition to your healthy eating plan for 2021.
Unsalted butter, 1 cup chopped nuts, ¾ cup creamy unsweetened almond butter, ½ cup pure maple syrup, 2 tbsp. flaxseed meal, 2 tsp. vanilla extract, 1 tsp. kosher salt, ½ tsp. baking powder and 3 large eggs.
- Preheat the oven to 350° and line your baking dish with a sheet of parchment paper, leaving an overhang on two sides.
- Cook the chopped nuts (walnuts, hazelnuts, and/or pecans) & 6 tbsp. butter on a medium skillet over medium heat. Keep swirling the pan often until butter foams & browns for approximately 5-6 minutes.
- Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a large bowl and set the nuts aside.
- Add almond butter, maple syrup, flaxseed, vanilla, salt, and baking powder to hot brown butter and combine until smooth. Then, add eggs one at a time, whisking to incorporate after each addition.
- After vigorously whisking the batter until it’s glossy & smooth, stir in all but about 3 Tbsp. reserved nuts.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish and top with remaining nuts.
- Bake blondies until the top’s puffed and lightly browned for 18-22 minutes.
- Let the blondies cool down after removing them from the oven. Then cut into as many squares as you like.
- You can store the blondies for up to three days.
Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
This recipe by Sweet Peas and Saffron combines the crisp, spicy flavor of chicken with the tanginess of lime & the goodness of veggies.
This hearty meal prep recipe calls for chicken breast – cut into strips (1×2 inches), sliced bell peppers & onions, quartered mushrooms, zucchini strips, fajita seasoning, olive oil, lime juice, tortillas, and toppings of your choice.
For the chicken rub, you’ll need 1 tbsp. sugar, 3/4 tsp. salt, 1 tbsp. chili powder, 11/2 tsp. cumin, 11/2 tsp. paprika, 1/2 tsp. garlic powder, 1/2 tsp. onion powder and 1/8-1/4 tsp. cayenne (optional).
You can either assemble the chicken & veggies before you plan to cook or you can cook it ahead and reheat when you need.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and stir together the fajita seasoning.
- Toss the chicken & veggies in a large bowl with the olive oil & lime juice. Add in the rub & stir to coat evenly.
- Arrange chicken & veggies on 1-2 large sheet pans and roast in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Flip the chicken and roast for another 5-10 minutes, or until the chicken is thoroughly cooked.
- Serve in tortillas with your favorite fajita toppings (avocado, cilantro, Greek yogurt, sour cream, salsa, pico de gallo, or jalapeno slices).
These burrito bowls by Dinner At The Zoo are not only healthy. They’re also super easy to make.
Gather 1 1/4 pounds boneless & skinless chicken breasts, 1/4 cup olive oil, 1/3 cup lime juice, 1 tsp. honey, 1 tsp. kosher salt, 1/4 tsp. ground cumin, 2 cloves garlic minced, 1 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika, 1 tsp. onion powder, 2 tsp chili powder, 3 cups cooked rice, 1/3 cup chopped cilantro leaves, the juice of 1 lime, salt & pepper to taste, 15-ounce can of black beans, 1 cup corn kernels, and 1 cup fresh salsa.
- Add garlic, honey, salt, cumin, smoked paprika, onion powder, and chili powder along with lime juice, olive oil, and 1/4 cup water to a large resealable bag. Seal bag and shake to mix.
- Add the chicken to the bag, seal, and place in the fridge. Marinate the chicken for at least 30 minutes or up to 8 hours.
- Preheat a grill, grill pan, or skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken to the pan and cook for 5-6 minutes until it’s done.
- Cut the cooked chicken into bite-sized pieces.
- Place the rice or quinoa in a large bowl. Add the cilantro, lime juice, and salt & pepper to taste. Toss to coat the rice thoroughly.
- You can cover & store the rice in the refrigerator until ready to heat & serve.