Get cheesy: The best macaroni and cheese recipes to indulge in
Pasta is one of the versatile dishes in the history of food, macaroni & cheese just happens to take the crown in the list of delicious pastas. macaroni & cheese checks off all the criteria for the perfect comfort food: Easy recipes? Check. Simple ingredients? Affirmative. Cost-effective? Absolutely. Taste? Delicious. Cheesy goodness? Double check!
Macaroni & cheese – shortened as “mac ‘n’ cheese” in the U.S. and “macaroni cheese” in the United Kingdom – is “a dish of cooked [elbow] macaroni pasta and a cheese sauce, most commonly cheddar”.
Over the years, the popular dish – macaroni & cheese – has evolved in countless ways, resulting in some scrumptious & mouthwatering recipes. Here are our top picks:
Microwave 5-minute macaroni & cheese
Starting with the easiest & quickest recipe to make on the list, the five-minute macaroni & cheese is conveniently cooked in a microwave. Anyone with or without cooking experience can try this recipe and indulge in a wholesome & tasty meal.
½ cup elbow macaroni (50 g), ½ cup water (120 mL), 3 tablespoons milk, salt & pepper to taste, ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese (25 g), fresh chive to garnish (optional).
- Mix the macaroni, water, and salt in a microwaveable mug.
- Microwave for two-three minutes, then stir.
- Add the milk, cheese, salt, and pepper, then stir.
- Microwave for another thirty seconds, stir, and garnish with a sprinkle of chives.
John Legend’s baked macaroni & cheese
When singer John Legend visited celebrity chef Martha Stewart, he was asked to cook his signature dish. The musician leaned towards his favorite comfort food – macaroni & cheese. Learn how to make the legendary macaroni & cheese recipe.
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter plus more for baking dish, coarse salt & pepper, 3 cups elbow macaroni, 2 cans evaporated milk, 1/3 cup skim milk, 2 large eggs, 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, 250 g extra-sharp cheddar cheese (grated), 250 g Monterey Jack cheese (grated).
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Generously butter a thirteen-by-nine-inch glass baking dish; set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil; add salt and macaroni. Cook until al dente according to package directions. Drain, and return to the pot. Add butter, and toss until pasta is coated and butter has melted; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together evaporated milk, skim milk, and eggs. Add seasoned salt, garlic powder, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper to the egg-milk mixture; set aside.
- In another medium bowl, combine cheeses; set aside.
- Place 0ne-third macaroni in an even layer in the bottom of the prepared baking dish; cover evenly with one-third cheese. Repeat with remaining macaroni & cheese mixture. Pour milk mixture evenly over the contents of the baking dish.
- Bake until the top layer is lightly browned, thirty-five to forty-five minutes. Let stand ten to fifteen minutes before serving.
Broccoli cheddar macaroni & cheese
Want to add a bit of greens to your macaroni & cheese? No problem, broccoli goes perfectly with the cheesy cheddar dish. The freshness of the green florets adds a crunch to the dish while cutting through the heaviness of the cheese, balancing the dish out perfectly.
1 cup macaroni & cheese, 1 cup cooked broccoli (150 g), ½ cup grated cheddar cheese (55 g), pepper to taste.
- Prepare macaroni & cheese like you would normally make or you can use the recipes above.
- Add cooked broccoli, cheddar cheese, and pepper stir until fully incorporated.
- Top with desired garnish. Serve immediately.
Vegan macaroni & cheese
All the vegans and lactose intolerant peeps, we see you. It’s devastating to miss out on macaroni & cheese due to food beliefs and/or digestive issues. So, here we have a flavorsome vegan alternative to the traditional macaroni & cheese. Enjoy!
2 yellow potatoes, 1 medium carrot, 1 medium onion, ½ cup cashews (65 g), 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon onion powder, salt to taste, 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast, optional, 1 lb elbow macaroni (450 g) cooked.
- Peel & cube the potatoes. Peel & chop the carrot into one-inch chunks. Peel & quarter the onion.
- Add the vegetables to a large pot or Dutch oven of boiling salted water. Cover & simmer for ten minutes, until the potatoes are fork-tender. Remove the boiled vegetables and save about one-and-a-half cups of the cooking water.
- Add the cashews, boiled vegetables, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, reserved cooking water, and nutritional yeast to a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Pour the sauce over the macaroni and stir to coat.
- Sprinkle with paprika (optional) and serve immediately.
Enjoy these yummy macaroni & cheese recipes! Which one are you planning to make? Let us know below!