How to Move Emails from Outlook to Gmail
Sooner or later, most users migrate from one mail system to another. Transfer from Gmail and Outlook or vice versa is a common scenario. Here is how to move emails from your desktop app to Google.
As you may know, Outlook stores data in a specific proprietary format, called PST. You can transfer emails from Outlook to Gmail in a flash using https://www.outlooktransfer.com/trial/gmailtransfer.exe, or try doing it manually. Here is a look at both ways.
Manual Transfer Path
It is possible to feed PST files into Gmail without third-party tools. The native method is lengthy and not faultless, but it may work for you. There are several stages:
- Moving PST files to Outlook (if they are stored elsewhere),
- Configuring Gmail within Outlook,
- Moving the files to the Gmail folder.
Please note that you need to have IMAP enabled for transfer to happen. You can do it via Gmail settings (head to its Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab). Remember to save these changes before going further. Next, launch Outlook and take the following steps.
- Import PST to the mail clients (if the files are stored elsewhere). You can summon the import/export wizard via the ‘File’ menu.
- Once the files are in the system, head to ‘File’ again to create a Gmail folder.
- Choose ‘Add Account’ and IMAP as its type.
- Enter your Google email address and ‘Connect’ it.
- The system will prompt you to enter your login and password to sign in.
- Now, you should see a new folder on the left panel.
- Right-click on this folder to create a new one within it. That is where you will move your Outlook mail, so it is transferred.
- Give the sub-folder a name and move the PST data into it. It is possible to choose some emails or select all.
- Right-click to copy the necessary emails (if all emails are selected, you can use the Copy Folder option).
- Go back to your newly created Gmail subfolder. Click OK to initiate the import.
The more emails you move — the longer this will take. You need to be extra careful at every step to avoid errors. Obviously, knowledge of both mail systems is necessary. It is not a task for beginners. Not that import from multiple source files is not supported.
How to Ensure Accuracy
A few high-quality utilities guarantee safe and quick migration. Data loss is a common source of frustration. That is why users are discouraged from manual attempts. If you have a large volume to move, delegate the task to automation. A single lightweight piece of software will allow you to reach the goal in three steps. Just choose the source file, specify output preferences, and let the system handle the rest!