Bring some zest to taco night with these recipes for pico de gallo
Taco nights have become increasingly popular over the past few decades. And this Mexican staple gets even tastier with its fixings, such as guacamole or sour cream. But there’s one that adds extra flavor: pico de gallo.
This kind of topping comes with a unique combination of ingredients that can heat up any taco recipe. Consisting of tomato & onions, the basic pico de gallo recipe already boosts the taste of your meal considerably. But there are many other pico de gallo recipes that add extra zest to your tacos, raising the bar when it comes to flavor.
We know you want to bring zest to your taco night, and we’ve got you covered! Here are some great recipes for pico de gallo that will make you a Mexican food champion!
Spicy Pico de Gallo
- 2 large ripe organic tomato seeds, removed & chopped
- 1/2 sweet white onion chopped
- 1/2 jalapeno with seeds finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- fresh cilantro finely chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon of salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper or to taste
- 1 juiced small lime
- Halve tomatoes and squeeze out seeds. Use your finger to loosen seeds and they will come out easier.
- Evenly chop tomatoes and toss into a bowl or glass container
- Finely chop garlic, cilantro, and jalapeno. Chop onion, lime juice, and toss into the bowl along with salt & pepper.
- Mix well, cover, and refrigerate for at least thirty minutes for flavors to meld together.
The Best Pico de Gallo Recipe
- 2 Plum tomatoes seeded & diced
- 1 diced small jalapeño
- ½ diced small white onion
- 1 minced clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon of lime juice
- 2 tablespoons of chopped cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt plus extra to taste
- In a bowl, combine all of the ingredients
- Serve the pico with tortilla chips or on top of tacos
Easy Pico de Gallo with Cabbage
- 2 cups of diced fresh tomatoes
- 2 cups of diced white onions
- 2 cups of chopped green cabbage
- 2 seeded and minced jalapeños
- 1 cup of chopped cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup of freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 teaspoons of sea salt
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Serve with chips for scooping or on top of your favorite tacos
Authentic Pico de Gallo
- 6 diced Roma tomatoes with fleshy seeds removed
- 1/2 large white onion, diced
- 1 cup of minced loosely packed cilantro leaves
- 1-2 of seeded deveined jalapenos or serrano peppers
- 2 tablespoons of lime juice (add lime zest for tangier)
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground cumin (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder (optional)
- Pepper to taste
- Add all of the ingredients to a medium bowl and stir to combine.
- Cover & refrigerate for at least thirty minutes.
- When ready to serve, taste and add additional lime juice, salt, and pepper if desired. If refrigerated beforehand, let sit for fifteen minutes at room temperature so it doesn’t taste flat.
Spicy Pico de Gallo with Avocado
- 2 diced large tomatoes
- ½ of diced red onion
- 2 stemmed and minced jalapeño or serrano peppers
- ⅓ cup of finely chopped cilantro
- 2 tbsp of fresh lime juice
- 2 chopped garlic cloves
- 2 tsp of salt, or to taste
- 1 diced Hass avocado
- In a medium bowl stir together tomatoes, avocado, onion, peppers, cilantro, lime juice, garlic, and salt.
- Let the mixture sit for five minutes, taste, and add more salt and/or lime juice if needed.
- Serve and enjoy with your favorite tacos or with tortilla chips
What are your favorite pico de gallo recipes? Let us know in the comments.