Make a meatloaf better than your mom with the best recipes online
No one can deny that moms are the ultimate chefs. No matter how much culinary schooling you’ve had or how many cooking shows you’re on (looking at you, Ramsey), moms will always find a way to make any dish better.
And no other dish showcases that better than the classic meatloaf. Filling, hearty, and a must have for any family dinner, this lovely loaf is one of the bests at Sunday dinner at your parents’ place.
But what if you could out-cook even your mom’s best meatloaf? We sampled recipes all over the internet and found the best meatloaf recipes that’ll have mom sitting back and relaxing as you take over the kitchen. Grab your aprons and let’s get cooking.
Mozzarella Stuffed Meatloaf
This first addition to our list of the best meatloaf recipes is a fun twist on the classic dish that’ll have each bite melting in your mouth.
For the Meatloaf:
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella sliced
For the glaze:
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar tightly packed
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350º (175º C). Lightly grease a glass baking pan (9×13”) with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl combine ground beef, bread crumbs, basil, oregano, parsley, salt, pepper, milk, and worcestershire sauce. Knead until combined.
- Divide meat in half. Shape one half of the meat into the bottom half of the loaf and place in the prepared pan. Place mozzarella slices down the center, leaving 1/2 inch around the ends and sides. Shape remaining half of meat as the top half of the loaf, sealing the edges. This is a free-form loaf so it doesn’t need to be perfect.
- In a small mixing bowl whisk together ketchup, brown sugar, worcestershire sauce, red wine vinegar, garlic, salt, and cayenne pepper. Pour half of this mixture over the meatloaf, reserving the remaining half for later.
- Bake in the preheated oven for forty-five minutes.
- After forty-five minutes, remove from the oven and pour the remaining sauce over the loaf. Increase temperature to 400º F (204º C) and bake for an additional fifteen minutes.
- Let rest five to ten minutes before serving.
Want to combine two American staples? This addition to our best meatloaf recipes list is for you!
- 2 pounds ground beef
- ¾ cup fresh bread crumbs
- ½ cup minced onion
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground black pepper
- 3 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350º F (175º C).
- In a large bowl, combine the beef, bread crumbs, onion, eggs, salt and pepper, and mix well. Pat out meat mixture into a 14×18 inch rectangle on a piece of wax paper.
- Spread cheese over the meat, leaving a 3/4 inch border around the edges. Roll up jelly roll fashion to enclose the filling and form a pinwheel loaf.
- Press beef in on both ends to enclose the cheese. Place in a 10×15 inch baking dish.
- Bake in the preheated oven for one hour, or until internal temperature reaches 160º F (70º C).
This last addition to our list of the best meatloaf recipes is a vacation on a plate. This tangy take on a meatloaf will make you want a nice mimosa as you watch the sunset.
For the Meatloaf:
- 1 1/2 pounds ground chuck
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup chili sauce
For the topping:
- 1/4 cup crushed pineapple (drained)
- 1/4 cup chili sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350º F (175 degrees C). Spray a shallow baking dish (at least 7×11”). Make sure the baking dish has sides to catch juices.
- In a bowl, combine the beef, onion, egg, bread crumbs, salt, pepper and chili sauce. Mix until combined.
- Shape the meat into a loaf and place into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake for fifty-five to sixty minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 160º F (70º C).
- In a small bowl, mix together the crushed pineapple and chili sauce. Brush this sauce over the meatloaf and return to the oven for an additional fifteen minutes.
- Allow the meatloaf to rest for five minutes before slicing & serving.
Have any other additions to our list of the best meatloaf recipes? Drop them below in the comments so Mom can keep her feet propped up.