Two things you should consider when choosing the web host
If you want people to see and visit your website, it must be hosted on the Internet, and a web host will do it for you. Since your job is to get your website online, choosing a good website host is extremely important.
We asked people from the digital marketing agency Chicago to tell us what we should consider when choosing the web host. There are two main things you should decide of:
- Shared Hosting vs. Virtual Private Server Hosting
Your web host will reserve you with a server on which your website will live. But you need to decide which server you want your website to be on: a shared server or a virtual private server?
Here is the difference between these two:
- In the environment of shared hosting, your website lives with all the other websites and shares its resources with them too. These resources include disk space, processor, and RAM. If you’re just starting, we advise you to choose this one because it is more affordable, and since your website won’t get too much traffic at the beginning, you won’t be wasting any resources.
- On the other hand, virtual private server hosting lets your website live in an isolated environment within the server. That way, you get your own RAM, processing power, and disk space that other sites on that server can’t use. If you want your website to be bigger and get a lot of traffic, you should opt for VPS (Virtual Private Server). Since it gives you more power, it also costs more.
- SSL Security vs. No Security
- This choice leaves no room for debate; yes, you ought to have the SSL certificate for your website. It makes sure no hackers can steal any of the website’s data (including your customers’). It does so by encrypting data that flows between your customers and your website.
This is especially important if your visitors are at some point required to enter their emails, home addresses, or credit card numbers. If you get the certificate, your domain will start with HTTPS://, as we’ve mentioned earlier. It also puts that green padlock on your visitors’ browsers, and when they see it, they’ll know your site is secure.
Moreover, it will show Google that your site is trustworthy; hence, Google will rank it higher on the search engine. And you know how important that is in regards to SEO. When it comes to types of the SSL certificate, there are two of them:
- SSL, with whom you can secure only one site, and
- Wildcard SSL, which allows you to secure several websites.
Understanding how web hosts work is not that difficult, but there are several factors to take into consideration when choosing the one that will host your website. Don’t worry if you think that you aren’t capable of deciding by yourself; the experts in digital marketing got your back. But yet, if you have enough knowledge to decide about mentioned things, we wish you luck!