National Chicken Wing Day: Try these delicious recipes in your air fryer tonight
It’s National Chicken Wing Day and you bak-bak-bet we’re happy about it! These delicious wings are a staple at any summer barbecue or football game, with any flavor you can think of coating their skins.
Of course, wings can often be a bit unhealthy due to the excessive oil needed to fry them. While that simply adds to their delicious flavor, it also means you can’t have them all the time. But what if there was a healthier way to cook these delectable wings?
Luckily, we have the answer to that question: chicken wings cooked in an air fryer! We munched through the internet to find the best air fryer chicken wing recipes to celebrate this National Chicken Wing Day! Grab your air fryers and let’s get cooking!
Buffalo Air Fryer Wings
This first addition to our list of air fryer chicken wing recipes is an amazing, healthy spin on the classic buffalo wing!
- 6 wings, tips cut and sectioned
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup hot sauce
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Salt and pepper the wing portions to taste.
- Arrange the wing portions in the air fryer basket on a rack.
- Set heat for thirty minutes at 360 degrees.
- Remove basket from air fryer and turn wings over.
- Return the basket to the air fryer, turn the heat to 390 degrees, and cook for 15 minutes more, or until the wings are crispy.
- Melt the butter and stir in the hot sauce.
- Pour the butter mixture over the cooked wings. Toss to coat.
Sweet Chili Air Fryer Wings
Want the heat of a chicken wing without the overwhelming spice? This next addition to our list of air fryer chicken wing recipes is for you!
- 12 chicken wings
- ½ tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp paprika
Thai Sweet Chili Sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 ½ tbsp hoisin sauce
- 3 ½ tbsp sweet chili sauce
- ½ Tbsp rice wine vinegar
- ½ tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp brown sugar (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ½ tbsp lime juice
- ¼ cup water
- Dab chicken wings with a paper towel to ensure they are dry. Add the chicken wings to a zip-lock bag with baking powder and spices.
- Close the bag (making sure all the air is out) and toss everything together until the wings are coated.
- Spray the metal rack (or basket) insert with cooking spray and arrange the chicken wings in a single layer.
- Close the air fryer lid and hit air crisp, then set the temp to 400 degrees F, then set the time to twenty minutes and hit start. While the chicken wings are cooking make the sweet chili sauce.
- At ten minutes, open the lid and toss/flip the chicken wings with tongs to avoid them from sticking. Close the lid and allow them to cook for the remaining ten minutes.
- Once the time has expired check the internal temperature to ensure they are cooked though. Allow them to rest for five minutes before tossing in the sweet chili sauce.
- For the sauce: Combine all ingredients into a small saucepan and heat over medium heat on the stove.
- Bring the sauce to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer stirring until the sauce has reduced and has slightly thickened. Keep sauce warm until chicken wings are finished.
- Toss or dip the cooked chicken wings in the sauce.
- Place the sauced chicken wings in a single layer on a greased cookie sheet with wire rack insert.
- Broil the chicken wings on the top rack on high for two to four minutes. Stick close to the oven and check the wings often. Once the sauce is sticky and the wings have some color remove them from the oven.
Garlic Parmesan Air Fryer Wings
This last addition to our list of air fryer chicken wing recipes will take your chicken wings up a notch for any special occasion!
- 2 pounds chicken wings
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped, plus more for garnish
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese freshly grated, plus more for garnish
- Preheat the air fryer to 350 degrees F.
- If needed, separate chicken wings into drumettes, paddles, and discard tips. Place wings in a mixing bowl. Season wings with onion powder, salt, and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Pour olive oil over the wings and use your hands to make sure the wings are well coated in oil.
- In another bowl, combine parsley, garlic, and Parmesan cheese. Pour over the wings and toss to coat the wings in Parmesan mixture.
- Place wings in an even layer in the air fryer basket. Make sure the chicken pieces do not overlap.
- Place the basket in the air fryer and cook for twelve minutes. Flip the chicken over a cook for another ten to twelve minutes. Chicken is done when the internal temp is 165 degrees F and outside is golden brown.
- Transfer wings to a baking sheet and keep warm in a 200-degree oven until all the wings are done. Or you can serve them up as they come out of the air fryer. Garnish with some extra Parmesan and parsley if desired.
Have any other great air fryer chicken wing recipes? Drop them below in the comments to keep this wing fest going!