Are you planning to opt-in for attic insulation?
Most homeowners don’t realize that examining their attic and checking if it’s in an excellent condition is essential for making the house comfortable and managing energy bills. According to studies, correct attic insulation can enable you to save about 20% to 50% of the heating bill. Additionally, it also helps to melt the snow fast after a snowstorm and reduce the roof load.
Do you want to insulate your attic? If yes, you can check out Clean Air Doctors providing insulation services. But before that, here are a few essential factors to consider:
Review the attic
If you are assessing the attic, you need to consider the following:
- Know your attic space and roof structure conditions. Are the decking and trusses safe? Do you have any open space or discoloration?
- Are there any water lines on the walls and stains on your floor? Keep an eye for the wet and damp spots that might highlight moisture issues. If you come across any, evaluate the cause and also address it before the insulation process.
- You should examine the rafters and make sure that they aren’t getting damaged or sagged. You can opt-in for a touch test. The condition will impact your roof’s structural integrity and can be harmful if it is not addressed.
Make sure to seal the space completely
As you check the attic, ensure that it’s sealed. Reduce any holes, cracks, or any other gaps for maintaining the best temperature. The foam spray insulation gets used in air sealing.
You should check the roof ventilation system and attic to make sure that there is slight attic insulation. Also, the attic must possess a similar temperature to that of the outside. Ensure that there is a functioning soffit for permitting fresh air in the attic to enable ventilation.
Choose the correct insulation
When you are selecting the correct insulating material, you need to consider the following:
- Cost –Select the insulation type that caters to your requirements and budget.
- Area available – An efficient insulation is dependant on the space every material needs. You can consider the available space for insulation while selecting the attic insulation type.
- R-value –It indicates the rating for heat resistance of the material. If the R-value is more, the insulation is better. It can differ based on your area.
Other essential steps to consider
It is essential to consider the following factors to make sure that the attic insulation is durable:
- Fix the roof leaks –The water damage can lead to mold growth and destroy the insulation. You should check out water leak signs and fix them as well.
- Maintain ample gap between light fixtures and insulating materials –You should avert fire hazards by maintaining at least a three to five-inch space around your fixtures. It keeps it separate from the insulating material.
- Direct every vent to the exterior – Make sure that the humid air is not captured inside the house by venting it correctly outside.
Hence, having effective air-sealing and ample attic insulation can provide a huge impact on your home’s energy efficiency.