What is a Fastag? How to get it for your vehicle
If you have been using Indian highways, you are probably already aware that toll booths now automatically collect payments via FASTag stickers. Every vehicle travelling through an NHAI (National Highways Authority of India) toll booth starting from February 2021 must have a valid FASTag for automatic toll deduction.
What is FASTag?
FASTag is an electronic payment system that enables you to move through the toll plaza without stopping to pay by cash. It is a government initiative that functions as a prepaid tool for vehicles on interstates. The tag is associated with a prepaid account via a radio-frequency identification system (RFID).
The FASTag technology will eventually allow India to run an entirely cashless toll system. By visiting any POS (Point of Sale) facility at particular toll plazas or issuer agencies, you can obtain a FASTag online and register for an account.
How does FASTag technology work?
The FASTag sticker must be applied to the car’s windscreen. To do so, carefully remove the peel and place it behind the windshield. You won’t need to pull over to pay the toll cost with cash when you pass a toll plaza that accepts FASTag. Instead, you can keep driving, and the toll charge will automatically get deducted from your FASTag wallet.
How to apply for a FASTag?
You need the following paperwork to apply for a FASTag:
- The registration document for the vehicle.
- A passport-sized photo of the vehicle’s owner.
- KYC documents that are acceptable for the category of the vehicle owner.
- Identity proof such as driving license, passport, voter ID, PAN card, and Aadhaar card.
Here’s how you can apply for a FASTag online:
- Visit the official websites of the banks that sell FASTags, such as IDFC FIRST Bank.
- Look for the ‘Get FASTag’ or ‘Apply for FASTag’ option on the website’s portal.
- Provide your mobile phone number. You will receive an OTP on this number. Hit submit after entering the OTP.
- Fill out the fields for your personal and vehicle information.
- Verify your entry of the information one more time before applying.
- You will be sent to an online payment platform to submit the fees.
- Save the FASTag invoice that you receive.
You can also apply for FASTag offline. Here’s how:
- Fill out the application at a bank that has received FASTag certification.
- Send in your registration certificate, passport-sized photo, and KYC documentation.
- You will receive the pre-activated FASTag along with a tag sticker and the login information for the site.
- The login information can be used to pay for the FASTag account and bypass tolls.
Using IDFC FIRST Bank Mobile Banking, you can recharge your FASTag wallet after completing the one-time registration of your vehicle’s data. Once this is done, you can go through toll booths seamlessly without having to worry about cash payments.