Make your game day menu more fun: The best air fryer chicken recipes
If you’re a football fan, your week revolves around game day and your life revolves around that special time in February, the Super Bowl. If you’re not a football fan, you might watch the Super Bowl for the commercials or just to enjoy some classic game day food. Nothing hits the spot like a perfectly executed game day spread.
While baseball is all about hot dogs & peanuts, football has a wider range of gameday foods, and the Super Bowl seems to throw everything but the kitchen sink on the table. Football fans get together for Super Bowl parties each year brandishing seven layer dip, pigs in a blanket, chips, and of course plenty of beer. However, there’s one dish that is head & shoulders above when it comes to game day fare.
We’re talking, of course, about wings. Chicken wings may as well be the official snack of the NFL, and football fans & pub goers alike can’t get enough. However, many sports fans may be having a different kind of Super Bowl this year, as many pubs & bars that hold some of the best food remain closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Furthermore, many Super Bowl parties have been cancelled, leaving hosts without a good reason to opt for take-out catering from their favorite wing spots. What’s a fan to do instead? This might be the year to tackle the famed football snack at home.
Not many people have a deep fryer at home, but with the popularity of air fryers skyrocketing over the past few years, it’s easy for many Americans to make great air fryer chicken at home. Take a look at some of the best air fryer chicken recipes to make on game day.
Frank’s air fryer buffalo chicken wings
For those not in the know, Frank’s Red Hot is the golden standard for hot sauce, often the base for most standard buffalo sauce. Their website has their official recipe for air fryer chicken, giving us the perfect no nonsense air fried wings.
2 1/2 pounds chicken wing pieces, 1/2 cup Frank’s RedHot Original Cayenne Pepper Sauce, 1/3 cup melted butter.
- Spray basket of air fryer with no stick cooking spray. Preheat the air fryer to 400°F. Pat wings dry with paper towels.
- Place wings in the fryer basket, but don’t over-fill. (Cook in batches, if needed.)
- Air fry twenty-five to thirty minutes or until skin is crispy and wings are cooked through, shaking the basket or tossing wings with tongs every five minutes during cooking.
- While frying, mix butter and hot sauce in a large bowl. Add cooked wings to bowl and toss to coat. Serve immediately with blue cheese & celery sticks, if desired.
Air fryer sweet Asian chili chicken wings
Buffalo wings are a classic football snack, but like anything else, the flavor profile can get boring after one game too many. However, some sauce recipes are more trouble than they’re worth. Worry not, dear reader, Ginny from Savor & Savvy gives us an Asian chili air fryer chicken recipe that’s a fresh & easy take on the classic wing.
1 lb chicken wings, 1 cup flour, ½ cup corn starch, ½ cup cornmeal, garlic salt to taste, 1 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp paprika, 1 cup milk, 1 egg, 1 bottle sweet Asian chili sauce, olive oil (spray bottle), sesame seeds & green onions chopped for garnish.
- Lay the wings out on waxed paper, sprinkle with garlic salt & seasoned salt.
- In a medium dish, add the milk & egg, beat together until well blended. In another medium dish, add the flour, corn starch, corn meal, onion powder, garlic powder, and paprika. Mix until well blended.
- Dip the wings in the milk & egg mixture, roll in the flour dish until they are well coated.
- Place the coated wings in the air fryer, and spray with the spray olive oil.
- Set the air fryer temperature to 375 F, and the time to twelve minutes. When done, turn the wings over and spray the other side. Cook for twelve more minutes.
- When the wings are done cooking, pour half of the sweet chili sauce into a large bowl, place the wings in the chili sauce and toss. Remove the wings from the sauce with tongs, and place on a platter. Top with sesame seeds & green onions and serve.
Air fryer chicken tenders
Who doesn’t love a good tendie? The boneless beauties sports fans love are now easy to make at home, thanks to this great air fryer chicken recipe by Skinnytaste. Simple & healthier than a full fat fry, these chicken tenders are sure to please.
12 chicken tenders (1 1/4 lbs), 2 large eggs, beaten, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, black pepper to taste, 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs, 1/2 cup seasoned panko, olive oil spray, lemon wedges for serving.
- Season chicken with salt & pepper.
- Place egg in a shallow bowl. In a second shallow bowl, combine the bread crumbs & panko.
- Dip chicken in the egg, then into the breadcrumb mixture. Shake off excess and place on a large dish or cutting board. Spray both sides of the chicken generously with oil.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400F.
- In batches, cook the chicken five to six minutes on each side, until the chicken is cooked through. Serve with lemon wedges.