Remote Assistant Editor
40 Hours per week
We are looking for an online Remote Assistant Editor for our busy, entertainment-focused newsroom. This person will oversee our growing editorial team, who are focused on creating unique, shareable content on the themes of film, TV, entertainment, and new media. The right person will oversee the blue-sky editorial strategy for the company, as well as managing day-to-day operations of the publication.
The Assistant Editor will work hand-in-hand with the company directors, senior managers, partners, and editorial team to assure the highest level of content is produced to our tight deadlines.
We work with amazing, storied clients and new emerging technologies & agencies.
- Are you a film & TV obsessive?
- Do you know your Kurosawa from your Kubrick? Your Lynch from your Leigh? Your Girls from your Broad City?
- Are you a high achiever? Do you have a proven track record of delivering exceptional results (in your last role, at university, on your personal projects)?
- Do you understand the way the film & TV industries works?
- Do you know how to use web searches to learn new skills?
- Are you a dedicated lifelong learner?
- Are you looking for a new challenge?
- Are you willing to do whatever it takes to achieve results?
- Are you able to prioritize your workload?
- Do you think change in Hollywood is long overdue?
- Oversee editorial team-setting deadlines and host daily scrum meetings.
- Review trending news and assign features to writers.
- Manage production of daily newsletter, including liaising with sponsors & partners.
- Make sure all features & newsletters go out on time.
- Analyze all available data to create writer assignments.
- Set measurable goals for teams.
- Recruit new writers & video creators.
- Ensure all content has been promoted via all available tools.
- Create detailed editorial calendars based on all available data.
- Plan editorial strategically considering the long view.
- Conceptualize new & innovative ways to tell stories across our media platforms.
- Fact-check, proofread, and edit copy where needed.
- Liaise with marketing team to boost sales & revenue.
- Monitor staff performance and give relevant feedback.
- Work with online advertising platforms to monetize our content.
- Work with our social media team to create viral content.
- Manage a team of interns.
The ideal candidate must possess
- Proven track record of editorial skills, with a portfolio and references to back it up
- Deep understanding of online magazines
- WordPress admin skills
- Deep understanding of social media and its relation to online publishing
- Encyclopedic knowledge of film & TV
- Stoic, can-do attitude
- Proofreading and copyediting skills
- Clear understanding of journalistic ethics & legal principles
- Experience in strategic planning and management
- Great attention to detail
- High motivation
- Exceptional communication & interpersonal skills
- Excellent team leadership skills with experience motivating teams and influencing key stakeholders
- Past experience running or assisting the editor of a successful online magazine
- Experience with photo- and video-editing software
- Experience with real-time social reporting
- Fluency in sourcing stock images & videos
- Understanding of the importance of community
- Love of the internet & technology
- Understanding of the digital landscape, being ahead of new developments
- 3+ years experience in a media company
- Experience working with online advertising agencies & aggregators
- Demonstrated ability to drive strategy and make smart business decisions
Apply using the form below: