Jurassic Park Slot Review
Action movies tend to make for some pretty memorable slot experiences so, naturally, we had high hopes for the Jurassic Park Slot by Microgaming’s QuickFire. We weren’t disappointed either!
Scary as !$%^
As a fully-licensed game, imagery, sounds, and concepts are taken directly from the 1993 smash hit movie. Loaded with special features and a host of free spin rounds, a punt on the Jurassic Park Slot is almost as thrilling as that fateful weekend off the coast of Costa Rica.
Don’t worry though, we doubt it’ll culminate in you being on T-Rex’s dinner menu!
In terms of its basic layout, the Jurassic Park Slot is played across five reels and three rows. Rather than matching the game symbols along a win line, as is common on both real-world and virtual slots, wins are awarded for landing the same symbol anywhere on adjacent reels.
This gives a massive 243 ways to win but it does mean players cannot change the number of win lines used.
Look and Feel
As mentioned, the Jurassic Park Slot features actual imagery and sounds from the original motion picture. The developers included real photographs of the various characters from the film and they hover over a mysterious jungle background. Suspense builds as the camera slowly pans the forest; players unsure of what lies in the undergrowth.
Game Symbols and Payments
Of course, you’ll see many of the dinosaurs from the more gripping scenes, as well as the unfortunate team of scientists trapped with them during the Jurassic Park Slot!
We’ve detailed each of the payments associated with hitting five-of-a-kind of all of the game symbols below:
- Five Jurassic Park Logo symbols will award 26.66x the total bet.
- Five Dr. Grant symbols will award 13.33x the total bet.
- Five Dr. Sattler symbols will award 11.66x the total bet.
- Five Dr. Hammond symbols will award 10x the total bet.
- Five Dr. Malcom symbols will award 8.33x the total bet.
- Five T-Rex symbols will award 5x the total bet.
- Five Velociraptor symbols will award 4x the total bet.
- Five Brachiosaurus symbols will award 3x the total bet.
- Five Triceratops symbols will award 2.5x the total bet.
- Five Dilophosaurus symbols will award 2x the total bet.
The Jurassic Park Online Slot features not one but five different free spins modes. You’ll find each detailed below.
Players must first land between three and five of the mosquito-trapped-in-amber “scatter” symbols to trigger the free spins. Following this, they will be presented with a choice of bonus feature:
- Tyrannosaurus Rex Free Spins – Players will receive 12 free spins with “wild” reels. During the feature the T-Rex symbol is stacked and the most fearsome inhabitant of the park may also randomly appear, transforming as many as five reels into “wilds”.
- Velociraptor Free Spins – Players will receive 12 free spins with both multiplier “wilds” and “split wilds”. These latter “wild” symbols divide in two to form larger winning combinations. This creates the potential for six-of-a-kinds (paid at double the rate of any five-of-a-kind). This mode also sees random multiplier “wilds” of 4x, 5x, and 6x loaded onto the reels. The Velociraptor symbol is stacked during the bonus feature.
- Triceratops Free Spins – Players will receive 12 free spins with “running wilds”. After every complementary spin, an additional “wild” symbol will be added to the growing stacks on each reel. If these stacks land on the reels and the player doesn’t win anything, they will hold in position whilst the reels spin again. The Triceratops symbol is stacked during the bonus feature.
- Brachiosaurus Free Spins – Again players receive 12 bonus spins, this time with a mystery multiplier between 2x and 6x. The Brachiosaurus symbol is stacked during the feature too.
- Dilophosaurus Free Spins – Players will receive 12 free spins with “winning wilds”. The Dilophosaurus symbol will turn random positions “wild”. These new “wilds” will remain held whilst they contribute to wins. The Dilophosaurus symbol will also be stacked during the free spins feature.
Players should note that the only free spin feature that can be retriggered is the Brachiosaurus Free Spins. Landing three or more additional “scatters” anywhere on the reels during this particular feature will give players another round of spins!
At random intervals during the main game, the fearsome T-Rex may appear. This will trigger the T-Rex Alert mode. The feature will last for a total of six paid spins.
When active, a massive 35 additional Park Logo “wild” symbols will be added to the reels. These are stacked and will substitute for any symbol other than the “scatter”. This significantly increases the odds of the player taking a big win!
During the feature, the bet size can only be reduced – which also lowers any remaining payments. We recommend leaving the stake size the same if you can afford to for the duration of the feature.
The Jurassic Park Slot machine does not feature any win lines in the traditional sense. Instead, wins are formed by matching symbols in any position on adjacent reels. For this reason, bet distribution is somewhat limited.
Players can adjust the size of the coin bet per spin. The minimum here is just 1c and the maximum is 5c. There is also the option to adjust the number of coins bet on each spin. The upper and lower bounds here are five and one respectively.
Bets are distributed as if there were 30 fixed win lines. This gives a maximum total bet per spin of $7.50 and a minimum of just 30c. This is perhaps the largest flaw of the game. High rollers are not going to be overly impressed with such a meager upping betting limit.
Our Overall Impression
With a return-to-player rating of 96.67 percent, loaded with special features, and atmosphere galore, the Jurassic Park Slot is certainly one of the stronger licensed slots around.
It manages to stand out in a niche with some serious competition too! There is no shortage of great Hollywood inspired titles around. You can see more games based on movies here.
The things that really appeal to us about the Jurassic Park Slot are the diverse free spins modes – each with a different game enhancer – and just how true to the original content every aspect of the game is. When the T-Rex arrives, it really shakes this up – just as you’d expect!