How to create and design Instagram profile step by step guide
Throughout the narrative, I will share with you my tips, as well as a sequence of steps to take on your way to Instagram success. Are you ready?
Let’s get started!
Choose a nickname and name
Decide if you will be using your real name or not. If suddenly you want to change the nickname of your account, go to “Settings”. It is important to come up with such a nickname so that it is unique and distinguishes you from hundreds of other similar accounts.
Choosing the right photo
You don’t need to display different characters, youth avatars, memes if you want people to take you and your blog seriously. Remember: the first impression your profile makes on a person will determine whether they subscribe to you or not.
Description in the profile header (bio)
Here you have to turn on your imagination and get a little creative. What do people usually write in the profile header?
- Talk about themselves and their activities;
- Briefly describe their success and achievements;
- Leave links to their website.
Create and publish your first post
Here everything is individual and depends on what your blog is about. If your blog is about photography, you can start sharing your works and then offer your services. If you are active in sports or a fitness trainer, you can start your sports blog: post-workout videos, sharing secrets and creating your training course. And if you have your own business, then Instagram can be used to promote it and attract a new audience.
What types of posts exist?
- Photo and video;
- Carousel (a post that contains from 1 to 10 photos or videos);
- Collage (an image consisting of several photos);
- Boomerang (repetition of a specific segment of the video).
Please note that you need to download the Layout application to create a collage. To publish a boomerang, you need to download the Boomerang app.
How do you publish your first post?
- Find on the bottom panel “+” and click on it;
2. Decide what you want to publish: video or photo (it is good if what you are going to post has already been processed or edited);
3. Optionally, process the photo using filters or the Instagram editor (it is desirable to be able to independently process photos, for example, in Photoshop). Of course, if you want your blog to attract with its appearance;
4. Add text to the description. It is desirable that it be literate, interesting and useful to the readers;
5. Indicate the necessary hashtags (we will talk about how to choose the right hashtags for your posts a little bit later);
6. Do not forget to also indicate geodata (your location). This is necessary in order for people living in the same city as you to find your post. To specify geodata, click on “Add place”;
7. If necessary, mark people in the photo. To tag people, click on “Tag People”;
8. Optionally, you can publish the post to other social networks (Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr);
9. Now you can safely publish your first post.
Stories: what they are and when to use them
Stories is an opportunity to publish photos and videos, which will be available for viewing within 24 hours.
How do you create Stories?
1. Open your Instagram profile;
2. In the upper-left corner there is a camera icon, click on it (the camera will open);
3. There are two options: take a new photo/video or select a file from the gallery (in the lower-left corner there is a corresponding icon);
4. On the bottom panel, you can add effects (try to figure them out on your own through practice);
5. Publish your story by clicking on the “Your Story” button in the lower-left corner. If you click on the “Close friends” button, then the story will be visible only to the people you have selected.
What can you post to your Stories?
- Memories or moments from life;
- Promotions, sales, new items;
- Polls, stickers, texts;
- Photo and video;
- Advertising (with text, music, or video);
- Information about yourself, facts;
- Important news;
- Subscriber games;
- Anything that your imagination suggests.
You can also upload photos and videos to stories from your phone’s memory. Optionally, select a filter, write text, add hashtags, tag people, attach stickers, etc.
Another great thing about Instagram stories is Highlights. With their help, you can collect a whole collection of your favorite stories (they can be constantly revised by your readers).
Tips for a business account:
- Add a link to your story (this function is available only after 10,000 subscribers have been recruited);
- Use geolocation and hashtags;
- Broadcast live (if possible). Don’t forget to announce the broadcasts to attract more viewers;
- Monitor statistics constantly;
- Use Highlights;
- Conduct polls and contests;
- Use a game format;
- Connect with your audience.
The essence of analytics: you post posts, interact with the audience and analyze its activity. And if your audience is not very active, you can try to change the situation in different ways and then analyze the result.
Let’s look at the main metrics:
- Subscribers. The total number of people following you;
- Likes. How many likes this or that post has;
- Mentions. How many times other users have tagged you;
- Comments. The number of comments written under a specific post;
- Publication coverage. How many unique users saw your post;
- A number of shares. The number of users who have sent your post to someone;
- Saving publications. How many people have bookmarked your post;
- Clicks to the site. How many people followed the link in the profile description;
- Interactions. The number of visits to your profile;
- Coverage. The number of unique users;
- Impressions. How many times users have seen your post in their feed.
You can see the statistics of your audience separately:
Other metrics allow you to analyze certain statistics more narrowly, but they are more complicated. If you are interested, you can deal with them yourself.