An In-Depth Review of the Upcoming ‘Tom and Jerry’ Movie
Upcoming animated action movie, Tom & Jerry will be the biggest treat of big cinema for fans with a duo of legendary characters Tom and Jerry. The film is all set to release on March 05, 2021 and revolves around Kayla, who started her new job at a fancy hotel.
At this hotel, Jerry has already settled to ruin a glamorous marriage. Kayla (Chloë Grace Moretz) hires Tom to get rid of Jerry before the wedding, which was not an easy task as it may seem. We’ve witnessed that throughout our childhood; Tom struggling to get ahold of Jerry.
This is one of the main reasons why people are so crazy about its release, as this will be the first real-life animated depiction of our two favorite cartoon characters. The recent release of the trailer clearly pokes the curiosity by showing a combination of action and animation.
There will be no voice actors used for the characters to keep their originality and avoid criticism. Viewers will be able to watch the movie on Disney Plus when it releases in 2021. If the VoD isn’t available in your country, you can easily access Disney+ outside the US by using a VPN!
A Little Background on Tom & Jerry
William Hanna and Joseph Barbera created the ferocious Tom & Jerry characters at MGM in 1940. Since then, both have appeared in various tv shows and series.
Warner Bros. was planning for a long to produce a hybrid animation-action movie with Tom & Jerry. Previously, they have showcased The Smurfs, Garfield, Chipmunks, and Scooby-Doo in hybrid movies that were a great success.
This will be the 3rd film based on Tom & Jerry’s characters showcasing real-life humans. Earlier two were “Tom & Jerry: The Movie” and “Tom & Jerry: The Fast & the Furry”. However, this is going to be the first movie to be rated for PG content.
Journey of Film Completion
The movie took a long journey from scratch idea to completion, and few decision moments are listed here by order of date:
- April 2015: Animated film based on source material was announced.
- Oct 2018: Decision was made to make a hybrid live-action animated film under the umbrella of Warner Bros.
- April-July 2019: Cast finalized, including Chloë Grace Moretz finalized to play the character of Kayla.
- June 2020: Due to COVID-19 pandemic, the film’s release date is changed to March of 2021.
- July 2020: Tom and Jerry’s designs with logo released.
- Sep 2020: Moose Toys Company signed a contract with Warner Bros. for production.
- Oct 2020: Information of PG rating disclosed. The MPAA rated the film based on language used, impolite humor, and cartoon violence.
- Nov 2020: A teaser trailer was released online on November 12, 2020 with the movie poster on November 16, 2020, and the trailer on November 17, 2020.
There is a fear prevailing that physical harm and violence in the movie may not be safe for young ones as originally the film is aimed at kids. Some critics are reviewing it as a betrayal of the original Tom and Jerry, which is an 8-10 minutes amusement.
They think a full-length movie will fail to deliver on its promise because no one can remake the Tom & Jerry as did MGM. Some are biased as they want to live with the original old school Tom and Jerry souls, and they feel that it is not a good idea to recreate it.
Whatever the opinions are and gossip we hear; we have to wait for the film’s release. I am sure the movie will work and do wonders. I hope that the situation will be smooth for us in the coming days to watch a film in theaters!